Monday, October 26, 2009

Goodbye Grandpa

Me and my Grandpa in 2007

My Grandfather died on Saturday, October 24, 2009. When Grandpa was in his 70’s and 80’s I did not want to lose him. I asked God to let Grandpa stay around a while. God answered my prayers and let Grandpa live till he was almost 102. Better yet, God let Grandpa stay mentally strong, so I was able to converse with him for most of his remaining time.

I spent a lot of time with Grandpa and Grandma over the last 20 years. I would drive down from the Twin Cities to their rural, small town home, and would sit and visit with them for hours. They would take me out to supper, and we would return home to watch the six o’clock on channel 12. I would leave to sound of the words “Thanks for Coming!”

Once at the restaurant we were eating at, an older waitress told me I would be thankful for taking the time to come down and visit with my Grandparents. She was right. I will always cherish those times and I am very grateful to had them.

Grandpa had a dry sense of humor. When I would go down to visit him he would often greet me with the line “are you lost?” I was not lost of course, and come to think of it I am not lost in my life either thanks in part to Grandpa whose strong Christian values and moral strength helped shape me for the better.

I will remember the line “are you lost” because it was how he greeted me when I went to see him on Thursday, Oct 22nd. He was starting to fade badly. Those words were the only real words other than “yes” and “no” that I got from him. I told him how much I loved him, and thanked him for all he had done for me. I did not know if I would ever see him again.

I did see him again that Saturday, but this time it was obvious it would be the last time. He could not respond to me, he did not have to. Grandpa had done enough for me. I will now do something for him. This Thursday I will help carry him to his final resting place. It is the least I can do for him.

Grandpa spent years telling everyone he disliked funerals where the dead person was endlessly praised as a great person. Grandpa would always tell my Mom and Dad that he wanted a simple funeral with little fuss made over him. Therefore I will end this post by not gushing about how great my Grandpa was. I will only state that I enjoyed my time with my Grandpa, and I am thankful to God for granting my wish that my Grandpa live for many healthy years; years I could spend with him and will always remember fondly.