Sunday, December 29, 2013

Farewell Metrodome



In its 31 years the Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome (the Dome) has been host to a Super Bowl (1992), two World Series (1987 & 1991), two NCAA Basketball Final Fours (1992 & 2001), a MLB All-Star Game (1985), countless major concerts, monster truck pulls, and most of the home games of the Minnesota Vikings, Minnesota Twins, and the University of Minnesota Golden Gopher football team. Now with the Twins, Gophers, and Vikings having got or getting new stadiums, the Metrodome’s time is at an end.

I saw many Twins games in the 27 years the Twins played at the Dome, but was able to only attend one post season game game. It was Game 2 of the 1987 ALCS. I was a young college student who heard on the radio that some single seat tickets were still available. I walked from the U of M campus over to the Dome to buy a ticket. I sat in the upper deck of center field next to two middle aged women who were really into the game. It was very loud, and great experience as the Twins won 6-3.

I got to see Kirby Puckett’s first career home run on 4/25/85. I saw Carlos Silva set the record for fewest pitches thrown in a complete game (74) on 5/20/2005. I was there to see Joe Mauer go 5 for 5 on 6/27/06. I was also nearly thrown out of the Dome for smoking (no smoking in the Dome!). Except I have never smoked in my life, and still have no idea why I was accused of smoking, though it should be noted that the eight or so buddies of mine there that night roared with laughter and joked about it for years afterward.

In the 2000’s when friends weren’t as available to go to games as they use to be, I would go by myself. I found it a great way to spend an evening. I would talk to people around me, and be able to concentrate on the game itself without people trying telling me the latest gossip, and if I wanted to leave early or stay longer I did.

Along with all the Twins games, I have attended many TwinsFests, Twins Autograph Parties, Vikings games, Timberwolves games (their first season was played at the Dome), and Golden Gopher football games. I loved Dome even others mostly disliked it. Maybe it was because it easy for me to get to. Maybe because there were usually decent tickets available. Or maybe it was simply all memories I have from my time spent there. The people who I went with and good times we had. The memories outweigh the lack of great sightlines and food. The Dome did not have any fancy restaurants or clubs that today’s game attendees demand, but it has great memories for me.

I will miss the Dome not because it was a great stadium, but because part of me is there and always will be there.