Tuesday, October 2, 2007

1979 & 1987 Twins

I attended my first Twins game in 1979. I watched as the Twins won their first World Series in 1987. I decided to commemorate these events by collecting autograph baseball cards from the living members of both teams. Some autographs were obtained in person others though the mail.

I have had better success with the 87 Twins. The 87 Twins I have gotten to date include:

Frank Viola - got in person, does not sign through the mail
Gary Gaetti
Greg Gagne
Kent Hrbek
Tom Brunansky
Bert Blyleven – charges for autographs, but I got him at Twinsfest for charity donation
Jeff Reardon
Dan Gladden
Juan Berenguer – included a signed card of his own along with mine
Randy Bush
Roy Smalley – also a member of the 79 Twins
Gene Larkin
Mark Davidson
Sal Butera
Don Baylor – got in person, does not sign through the mail
Les Straker – got during the 20th anniversary celebration of the 87 team, lives in Venezuela
Mike Smithson
Tim Laudner
George Frazier
Keith Artherton
Tom Kelly
Andy MacPhail – the team’s general manager
Carl Pohlad – the team’s owner
Ralph Houk – a senior advisor to Tom Kelly and also manager of the 61 Yankees

I have not gotten:

Steve Lombardozzi
Al Newman
Dan Schatzeder – He is known for taking months to sign or not signing at all.

Decease members of the team include:

Kirby Puckett
Joe Niekro

The 79 Twins are proving harder to get. The 79 Twins I have gotten to date include:

Ron Jackson
Bob Randall
Roy Smalley – was also a member of the 87 Twins
John Castino
Mike Cubbage
Glen Borgmann
Glen Adams
Dave Goltz
Roger Erickson
Pete Redfern
Gary Serum
Willie Norwood


I sent requests to these individuals, but have not heard back. Some of the requests have been out for months.

Rob Wilfong
Butch Wynegar
Ken Landreaux
Paul Hartzell – just got this back, and I had the wrong address
Geoff Zahn
Darrell Jackson

I will be getting around to these individuals:

Bombo Rivera
Hosken Powell
Danny Goodwin
Dave Edwards
Jose Morales
Mike Bacsik – It was his son that gave up home run 756 to Barry Bonds
Jerry Koosman

Deceased members of the team include:

Calvin Griffith – the team’s owner
Gene Mauch - the team’s manager

Mike Marshall refused to allow a baseball card of him be made that year. I also hear he does not sign autographs.

It has been an enjoyable experience collecting these autographs. Former Twins players seem to be quite nice about signing autographs both in person and through the mail. It is also nice to get something other than bills in the mail.